Minutes of the Management Committee Meeting held at Ripley Castle - Monday, May 19, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT Sir Thomas in the Chair, Tony Whittaker, Jeff Watkins, Barry Gill, Anton Lodge, Erik Thompson, Tricia Heard, Graham Hyde, Eric Houseman, Martin Blackham, Justin Park, Neil Burtwistle, Roger Deakin, Chris Newton, John Barrett and Peter Crack
APOLOGIES were received from Bill Kitson, Ben Drummond Steven Coombs and Dion Wood.
MINUTES OF THE MEETING held on 18th March 2008 having been circulated were approved and signed as a true record of the meeting.
MATTERS ARISING there were no matters not covered by the Agenda which follows.
CORRESPONDENCE AND SECRETARY’S BUSINESS
1. Remarks made by North Stainley concerning Lofthouse being inappropriate as a “FURTHER INFORMATION” had been removed from the website. North Stainley should be advised not to use the “FURTHER INFORMATION” for this sort of remark, but to make a formal complaint, otherwise it will not be possible to enforce disciplinary procedures.
2. Bishop Thornton v Rainton. Again the “FURTHER INFORMATION” had been used for a complaint by Rainton about teas at Bishop Thornton and for a reply by the latter on their “FURTHER INFORMATION”. Following a discussion on the misuse of comments on the “FURTHER INFORMATION”, no action is to be taken.
3. There was a discussion on the playing of some Sunday Fixtures in div 8. This particular problem had been resolved by the Secretary and the Treasurer. It was agreed that guidelines should be issued to Division 8 Clubs.
4. Harrogate Strays move to Airedale -Wharfedale League had been deferred to 2010.
5. It will be possible for Spennithorne and Harmby C.C. to join the League in 2009.
6. A letter had been received from Thirsk C C approving
the new registration system.
7. The letter from Solly Sports was read – no action is
possible at this time.
8. Confirmation of League Policies.
a) Coaching: Erik Thompson introduced a list of 5 points to codify the League’s involvement in contributing to the cost of coaching courses. This was agreed , after discussion and with amendment to Point 4. This can now be published on the website and emailed to clubs.
b) ‘Amateur Status’ It was agreed that further consideration should be given to the Information Form used for registration of Overseas Players for next season, particularly with reference to employment and accommodation. Erik Thompson gave brief details of the information given on the Information Form for the current season.
An email should be sent to all 19 clubs, seeking confirmation as to accommodation and employment of their Overseas Players.
TREASURER’S REPORT Neil Burtwistle reported that invoices had not yet been sent out. The balance at the Bank is £10.455, with some £26.000 due eventually to Lords International.
DISCIPLINARY PANEL Justin Park reported that a Panel is to meet on 29th May to deal with Dishforth v Hampsthwaite and Scotton v Pannal matches. It was agreed to call on non-committee members of the Panel to take part.
Discussion followed on the progress of ground improvement at Sharow and Rainton. Enquiries should be made to discover the deadline to which Sharow are working. Rainton are much further behind. The strong feelings that the two clubs should not have been granted latitude should be tempered by the size of the projects to be taken on and the need to encourage clubs to make the best possible improvements to their facilities.
Clubs should be emailed, reminding them of the provisions of Rule 26. A rule change to impose a deadline of December on the implementation of Rule 26 (e) will be put to the next Annual General Meeting.
LEAGUE SOLICITOR Martin Blackham reported on the correspondence he had had with Ken Coad of Studley Royal C.c. which should allay any fears, subject to continued monitoring.
UMPIRES SECRETARY Jeff Watkins reported on a shortage of Umpires, leading to a struggle to proved a full complement. It was suggested that an appeal for volunteers be posted on the website, directed at former or even current players, amongst others. It is possible that the League Umpires Association may seek an increase in fees due to increases in petrol prices.
GROUND COMMITTEE In Ben Drummond’s absence, his written report ( including a letter from John Barrett) was read by the Secretary and is attached.
JUNIOR LEAGUE REPRESENTATIVE. John Barrett had no report, other than that the League was underway.
CUP COMPETITIONS AND EVENING LEAGUE SECRETARY.
Barry Gill reported that the Wath and Peter Bentley Cups had started last week with only one withdrawal . The reserve KO starts on 20th May, with three withdrawsl. Alne have been knocked out of the Village KO. and Killinghall from the Black Sheep Trophy.
SIX A SIDE JUNIOR INDOOR LEAGUE In Bill Kitson’s absence his written report is attached. Sir Thomas commented on the successful and enjoyable finals of the competition.
CHILD WELFARE OFFICER No report in Bradley Atkinson ‘s
absence. It was pointed out that Bradley should submit a written report if he is unable to attend.
LEAGUE REPRESENTATIVE SIDE.
1. In Dion Wood’s absence through injury, Tricia Heard reported that the Team had lost to the Pontefract League Team on 18th May by 20 runs. Tricia read out the team list from that game.
2. After discussions on the team clothing for M.C.C. match on 1st August it was agreed that the marking of the shirts etc should be left to Graham Hyde in discussion with Dion Wood. It as agreed that Eric Appleton should be invited to attend the match in recognition of his long service as a League Umpire.
3. Selection of the team for the M C C match should be the responsibility of Dion Wood, assisted by Tony Whittaker and Eric Houseman with the suggestion that it should ideally be selected at least a month ahead of the fixture.
M.C.C. MATCH ON AUGUST 1ST AT LORDS Graham Hyde
There was discussion on some of the details of the event, with names being taken for travel, tour of Lords, dinner and accommodation. Information to be placed on the Website.
GOLDEN OLDIES 2010 Sir Thomas reported that through Eric Houseman, Raymond IIlingworth had agreed to be Ambassador for the Festival. This will give the event much prestige.
The recent article about the festival in the Yorkshire Post had brought offers of the use of two ground outside the League, at Bishopthorpe and Spofforth.
It is intended to post an item on the website setting out those clubs who have already offered grounds and seeking additions to the list.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS There was none.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING – Monday 30th June 2008 at Ripley Castle at 7.30pm
From Ben Drummind
The Ground committee met on Thursday 8th May at Masham CC to discuss the Ground Visits, early season weather and other matters.
1) Ground Visits – All grounds have been visited, and the committee were satisfied with the condition of all grounds given the wet weather except one, Almsford Oval currently the responsibility of Bilton CC. I have contacted Mick Dawson for an update/plan of action regarding this ground and am awaiting a response.
2) Rainton & Sharow CC are now on with their building works and I will be asking both next month for an update on progress for the next meeting.
3) Attached below is a letter from John which was discussed at the meeting and everyone agreed with his comments and if possible could you ensure the committee members get a chance to read it.
From John Barrett to the Ground Committee
It disappoints me that there are clubs who mark with no appreciation of the tremendous amount of work being put in by one or two volunteer workers to get their grounds into the best possible condition sometimes with only a limited budget to spend. Last week was a good example, we had awful weather during the week and the only chance that groundsmen could work on the ground was Friday & Saturday morning, under the cir
- Oct 2012
- Aug 2012
- Jul 2012
- Jun 2012
- Jan 2012
- Jan 2012
- Nov 2011
- Sep 2011
- Jul 2011
- Jul 2011
- May 2011
- Mar 2011
- Jan 2011
- Nov 2010
- Sep 2010
- Jul 2010
- May 2010
- Mar 2010
- Jan 2010
- Oct 2009
- Aug 2009
- Jul 2009
- May 2009
- Mar 2009
- Jan 2009
- Nov 2008
- Oct 2008
- Aug 2008
- Jun 2008
- May 2008
- Mar 2008
- Jan 2008
- Nov 2007
- Oct 2007
- Jun 2007
- May 2007
- Mar 2007
- Nov 2006
- Oct 2006
- Aug 2006
- Jul 2006
- May 2006
- Mar 2006
- Oct 2005
- Aug 2005
- Jul 2005
- May 2005
- Mar 2005
- Nov 2004
- Oct 2004
- Aug 2004
- Jul 2004
- May 2004
- Mar 2004
- Nov 2003
- Aug 2003
- May 2003
- Feb 2003
- Dec 2002
- Oct 2002
- Aug 2002
- Jun 2002
- Mar 2002
- Feb 2002
- Oct 2001
- Jun 2001
- Jun 2001